Sunday, February 19, 2012

On Risk-Taking...


"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I... 
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference".

I remember reading this Robert Frost poem called 'The Road Not Taken' way back in sixth form and thinking nothing of it for the simple fact that it was one of the many 'chores' that had to be endured as a requirement for the completion of that dreaded programme.

"Roads, woods, travelled...blah blah blah"
*nods off*

It wasn't until I was sitting in my Entrepreneurship Skills class last Wednesday night that it popped back into my head. [insert cheesy W. Clement Stone self-help mumbo jumbo about verbal repetition affecting your subconscious mind here] 
We were made to consider good entrepreneurial traits.
So I counted them down:

Curiosity .....*check*
Innovativeness...... *check*
Balance..... *check*
RISK TAKING? .......

 




There is no thought more cringe-worthy for me than of travelling down "the road not taken".My complete abhorrence towards the idea of climb mountains, bungee jumping, or riding roller coasters should be enough to concrete my own thought  that the bane of my existence is a RISK. I admit that I have  always allowed myself to be curious, but never to the point of wandering into the unknown or the unsure - which is a deep-seated, crippling fear of mine.
Not many people know about my desires to become a film-maker. I've kept it mum, honestly, because Jamaica is not necessarily a mecca for this type of activity - and FAILING publicly at gaining access into the industry, I believe, would be the worst thing to have happened to me. I HATE FAILING!

This is where my attachment to comfort and security comes into play. Committing to my career plans B and C, which incite less passion, but are notably less rigid and risky.

However....... The buck stops HERE. Notwithstanding the seeming lack of existence of my 'Fearless Gene', I have realized that a risk is a necessary evil in life and I have to embrace the natural God-given appetite for it.
This 'road' called entrepreneurship involves placing your ideas and dreams before people, risking ridicule. But risks must be taken, because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
I am curious to see what 'difference' this will make in my personal and professional life. It's time to  

DREAM OUT LOUD!


No comments:

Post a Comment